Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Just a quick note

Woke up this morning to snow. I am so sick of snow!!!! For once I am glad for the rain that we are supposed to get the rest of the day. At least it will wash away the snow. EXCEPT that now they are saying that we could possibly have a snow storm this next weekend. Great.

I planted my seeds in my indoor mini green house the other day. At this rate I will be able to plant them outdoors in August. Hopefully, they will all grow. I plan on having a garden that is twice maybe three times as big as last year. I think that I might need it with the economy going like it is. This way I can store up the fruits of my labor for the winter like any other good little squirrel.

Hoping to have great crops of fruits/berries this year. We have really enjoyed the batches of jelly and apple butter that I put up last year. Hoping to can even more this year.

We are buying a cow from my friend Tom. He will raise it with his beef, while we pay him a small amount of rent for the year and then we can butcher it. The good thing about this is that I never have to see the face of the one I will be eating. I'm a softie that way. It will end up being much cheaper. We buy the cow little (Tom has a dairy farm, so he does not need the "boys" for obviouse reasons). He will raise it with his and we get hundreds of pounds of beef as the end result. I hope to do a new cow each year, so that it can start a continous thing. Each year, we will have a new steer to butcher. It's a win, win situation. He laughs because I go in and ask him if he's taking care of our "herd"?.

Well, time to head out to work. Two hour school delay. Jessalyn is the only one going. Jacob is staying home one more day. He broke his nose on Saturday while we were out cutting wood and it's pretty sore. The main reason that I am keeping him home today, is that if something happens there will be no one around to go and get him or take him pain killers. I will be on the route, Will is at work and the rest of our family is heading to a funeral. My Uncle's Mom died and that pretty much takes care of all my "back ups" for the kids. Since, I don't know who all is going, I will just keep him home. It's the last day of the quarter and he has no finals, so it's just as well. Poor kid. His nose really hurts. I know it hurts me to look at it.

Have a great day.
dea

No comments: