Thursday, November 06, 2008

What a dog goes through to make you happy

Or maybe I should call it "a day in the life of Sam". Our wonderful black lab loves, I mean loves to bring you a toy. When he comes to see you, he has to bring you something. It's that retriever thing you know.

Well two nights ago he was playing with his "new favorite toy" a laundry basket. Of course after a 100 lb dog plays with it, it's not much of basket. He likes to throw it for himself and then run and fetch it. This has caused the bottom to completely break out of it, so when he carries it around it looks like a basket ball hoop. Of course any time we laugh at him, he has to take it one step farther, so.....

Monday night Will comes home from work and Sam takes him the basket "hoop style" in his mouth. Will says "Hi Sam" and that starts the happy dance. The next thing you know here comes Sam to see me with the basket laying accross his head so that it looks like he is a lion with a main. This silly white clothes basket with a dogs face inside. I laugh and so he has to take it to the next level for Will. He walks away from me towards Will and I see him stop and push it against the floor until it's a big collar type thing. He then parades in to see Will with his new "pretty". What a ham. He ended up taking his new idea around to everyone in the family so they would laugh and that just made him happier. He wore it for a long time before he would let me take it off.

It must have been a lot of work, because as soon as I took it off him, he went to bed. He just turned around like he was done for the day and headed to Jessa's room. I went in to see what he was doing and he walked into the room and just flopped on the floor. I guess making us all laugh had been his goal for the day. Goal accomplished, so time for bed. what a life!

I leave today for a tourism conference in Wisconsin Dells. It's at this resort called Chula Vista. I have not been there since they did this HUGE remodeling project. When I say huge, I mean huge. Millions of dollars went into it, and I am looking forward to seeing the difference.

Watched a musical last night with the kids. It was a tape I had of a musical put on by a church in Ft. Lauderdale Florida. Very, very old tape. I think I taped it by accident in 1990 while trying to tape something else. We have watched it almost every Christmas since. It tells the whole story from birth to ressurection. It's pretty cool. Even though the kids kind of groaned during a little of it, they all sat and watched it and didn't talk much at all. It must have been ok.

We start practising for our Christmas program Sunday. We decided to go back and pull out about 6 songs out of musicals that we have done in the past and create a mini musical. The kids are going to be part of it too by doing a play type thing along with it. We'll see if we can pull it all together.

This Sunday is our "potluck" Sunday and we are doing Thanksgiving dinner. Between the conference and recording our CD on Saturday, I need to somehow find the time to make my bread dough cornicopia. I make on out of braided bread dough, bake it with a hard egg glaze and then use it to create a center piece filled with fall gourds, flowers and other tid bits. It's pretty impressive yet extremely simple to do.

The weather is colder now, so I'm going to start using my bread maker again. Something about coming home to the smell of fresh baked bread is very warming. I feel lots of homemade soup and bread nights coming on. Our whole family loves it. A big bowl of thick and creamy potato, cheese and ham soup and homemade bread. Yum, yum.....oh crud now I'm hungry.

Christmas is less than two months away and by the looks of it they will be a very short two months. We am booked solid up until the
14th of December and then we start preparing for Christmas Eve at our house. I think I will cut it back to about 15 kinds of food this year. I'm working on my menu now. Should be fun.

Well, time to finish getting kids ready for school.

Have a great day!

dea

No comments: