Thursday, January 22, 2009

Did you ride dinosaurs to school?

There is nothing like a youth group to make you feel old. We were discussing how any of the kid's parents were at one time their age. They all looked at me like I was insane. I guess that parents are born old and just get older.
I started telling them what was popular when I was young. They of course jumped on that one....
Questions started:
Were you a hippy? (She had always wanted to see a hippy. Did I ever see one?)
Did you have microwaves?
Did you have cars that burned gas? (I'm not sure where that one came from)
Did you know anyone with an afro?
Did you ride dinosaurs to school?
Ok now they were just getting silly. No I was not a hippy. No I did not know any that I remember (hippies were a little before my time).
Yes, I knew people with afro's because half of my best friends were African American. That really amazed them. It just goes to show you how different areas of the US are. When I was growing up in this little podunk town I had never met a person of color (any color). We had lived in Georgia for a short time when I was 5 or so, so I had friends there, but here in this little town there seemed to be no one of any ethnic heritage other than Scandinavian or German decent. I suppose that most of that had to do with the fact that this is a small community area and most people were born here, raised here and died here, without venturing too far out of the area.
I remember moving to Florida when I was 12 and being amazed at all of the "different people" and lifestyles there. I ended up being in a great school with great kids and many friends of different ethnic backgrounds. Many of them were my "closest friends" due to band. We had a ball.
In fact one of our fondest memories concerning one of my oldest and dearest friends who was in the Air Force Thunderbirds, happened when my very "white" little children ages 3 and 7 went running over the landing field screaming "Uncle Rick, Uncle Rick" as they ran to this bald very dark skinned black man, who's smile was as big as the grand canyon when he saw them. Boy did some heads do a double take that day. It was great! Rick is one of the finest men I have ever known and it's an honor to be his friend (and considered his sister). His father is a great man too.

I digress.

The kids in my youth group, due to the innauguration, have taken notice of all of the different ethnic backgrounds, I think more than usual. It was interesting to see their wheels working out in thought process.

I tried not to take offense at the "back in ancient times when you were young" attitude. I remember doing the same thing to my parents and their peers. Then I was rewarded (sort of ) for my patience....I was told that although I am 44 I seem much younger and they all like me because I don't "act" old. I think it's a complement, but I'm not sure. Especially when they were in awe that someone was still alive that was born in 1964. They acted like that was the year of the fall of the Roman Empire. The twerps.

Oh well, at least I covered the gray hair again, so I maybe don't look quite my age. I think that I should probably be honored because the kids want to hang out with me and want me around. It could be worse....they could be rolling their eyes at me. Instead they are in awe of my ancient ways.......go figure.

Have a great day. And for those of you out there older than me.....just think how impressed they would be with you!!!!! Maybe you belong in the Smithsonian? Maybe you knew Jesus? Maybe you invented the wheel?

dea

No comments: